Out of band cumulative update for Windows 10 and 11: KB5010793/19044.1469, KB5010795/22000.438 #KBAlert

Hi all,

An out of band cumulative update was released that addresses some issues reported by users after installing January 11, 2022 cumulative updates. Since these updates resolve the same set of issues, this post will deal with both Windows 10 and 11 (both 21H2):

Changelog:

Updates a known issue that affects VPN connections.

Updates a known issue that causes unexpected restarts on Windows Server domain controllers. (Windows 10)

Details:

Details:

Windows 10 (KB5010793):

Addresses a known issue that might cause IP Security (IPSEC) connections that contain a Vendor ID to fail. VPN connections using Layer 2 Tunneling Protocol (L2TP) or IP security Internet Key Exchange (IPSEC IKE) might also be affected.

Addresses a known issue that might cause Windows Servers to restart unexpectedly after installing the January 11, 2022 update on domain controllers (DCs).

Addresses an issue that prevents Active Directory (AD) attributes from being written properly during a Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP) modify operation when you make multiple attribute changes.

Addresses an issue that might prevent removable media that is formatted using the Resilient File System (ReFS) from mounting or might cause the removable media to mount in the RAW file format. This issue occurs after installing the January 11, 2022 Windows update.

Windows 11 (KB5010795):

Addresses a known issue that might cause IP Security (IPSEC) connections that contain a Vendor ID to fail. VPN connections using Layer 2 Tunneling Protocol (L2TP) or IP security Internet Key Exchange (IPSEC IKE) might also be affected.

Addresses an issue that might prevent removable media that is formatted using the Resilient File System (ReFS) from mounting or might cause the removable media to mount in the RAW file format. This issue occurs after installing the January 11, 2022 Windows update.

Lino Morales

Hey Joseph just curious. Why is it everytime you post an update such as this JAWS says KO blacksquare? Are you writing this origionally in Korian?

On 1/17/2022 11:19 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:

[...]

For me it just says "black square" which is simply a different type of a bullet; I hear nothing about KO.

Hey Joseph just curious. Why is it everytime you post an update such as this JAWS says KO blacksquare? Are you writing this origionally in Korian?

On 1/17/2022 11:19 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:

Hi all,

An out of band cumulative update was released that addresses some issues reported by users after installing January 11, 2022 cumulative updates. Since these updates resolve the same set of issues, this post will deal with both Windows 10 and 11 (both 21H2):

  1. Windows 10 (KB5010793/build 19044.1469): January 17, 2022—KB5010793 (OS Builds 19042.1469, 19043.1469, and 19044.1469) Out-of-band (microsoft.com)
  2. Windows 11 (KB5010795/build 22000.438): January 17, 2022—KB5010795 (OS Build 22000.438) Out-of-band (microsoft.com)

[...]

Timothy VD Berg

Hi

Funny enough NVDA says something which I do not understand

Thanks

Timothy

[...]

Doesn't NVDA have some sort of function equivalent to Jaws Speech History where you can review something word by word or letter by letter?

[...]

Louise Pfau

Hi.  Will the update automatically download and install?  I'm asking because it says "Out of band" in the subject line.

Thanks,

Louise

Bill White

Hi, Louise. I had to click a button that says, Download and Install, before it would actually download and install.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Hi.  Will the update automatically download and install?  I'm asking because it says "Out of band" in the subject line.

Thanks,

Louise

Jason White

I would just like to add that I appreciate the announcements, as they remind me to go to Windows Update, run “Check for Updates”, and, if necessary, press that “Download and install” button on the optional updates.

It is still necessary to use the JAWS cursor if you want to read the progress indicator that shows the percentage of the download or install that has been completed. I am yet to try it with NVDA, which is installed and up to date.

From: winaccess@winaccess.groups.io <winaccess@winaccess.groups.io> on behalf of Bill White <billwhite92701@...>
Date: Tuesday, 18January, 2022 at 17:59
To: winaccess@winaccess.groups.io <winaccess@winaccess.groups.io>

Hi, Louise. I had to click a button that says, Download and Install, before it would actually download and install.

Hi,

To answer various questions in one go:

  • Text and sources: nope - I'm not using Korean to write this. The "black square" comes from the cumulative update release notes so you can ignore them.
  • Optional update: yes, these are optional updates, so you must click install control (Settings/Update and Security/Windows Update/Download and install link in Windows 10, Settings/Windows Update/Download and install button in Windows 11). Updates released at a day other than Update Tuesday (second Tuesday of the month) are optional updates (previews and/or out of band releases). The next optional updates will be released in about a week or so as Windows Insiders are testing upcoming preview releases.
  • Update progress announcements: if using Narrator and/or NVDA (and if I remember correctly, I can hear announcements with JAWS), you will hear update installation progress if using Windows 10 (I know a follow-up question on Windows 11 will come up, and for that, the answer is no and should be resolved by Microsoft).

Bill Powers

Joseph,

Concerning the “download and install” function in Win 11, I wish there was a better way to position that button to download and install because using a screen magnifier, the button for that is not visible to me near the text of what the update is, so in order to find that button I invariably have to move the mouse to find it over on the right side of the page. Putting it under the existing text might not be practical either, since it might be confusing if there were several updates this might cause problems figuring out whether you are downloading and installing just one update or all. but it is different than Win 10 or at least seems to be. Is there a key command that swings me over to the download button?

BTW, on this latest out-of-band update, I had to go through this twice to get the full download. The first time I got to 40% then the download failed. When I attempted a second time the download started over before installing.

BP

Louise Pfau

Hi.  I just activated the "Download and install" link, and the download is at 84%.  I use NVDA 2021.3.1 to access Windows update because I find you can fine-grain navigation better than with Narrator.

Louise