Sent: Tuesday, October 12, 2021 4:39 AM
Subject: [WinAccess] pro or home

Yes,

It’s me, the old dog, Le Mont Stir!

As an individual user, with one desktop,  are there any advantages to running win10 pro over win10 home.

I know this one has been kicked around before, just looking for current views on the subject.

Cheers,

Mont

Brad Snyder

It is my understanding that the pro version of windows allows the user to join a domain, whereas the home version does not.
Beyond that, I believe the two versions of windows are essentially identical.

- Brad -

No
As an individual user, with one desktop,  are there any advantages to running win10 pro over win10 home.

I know this one has been kicked around before, just looking for current views on the subject.

Cheers,

Mont

And you also have the Group Policy editor in Windows 11 Pro which allows you to make certain changes which are not so easily made in Windows 10 Home. One example would be to bypass the lock screen, e.g. usually when Windows 10 boots up you have to press enter or spacebar to get to your password or PIN prompt, in Windows 10 Pro this can easily be disabled so that when you boot up focus is directly placed in the password/PIN field. As I said, this is just one example which I used because it is the first thing I do when I set up a new computer or reinstall Windows for whatever reason, there are dozens of other options and most of them are of little importance to an average Windows user and may be more things used in corporate settings.

As an individual user, with one desktop,  are there any advantages to running win10 pro over win10 home.

I know this one has been kicked around before, just looking for current views on the subject.

Cheers,

Mont

I would say for the majority of home users the answer is no.

As an individual user, with one desktop,  are there any advantages to running win10 pro over win10 home.

I know this one has been kicked around before, just looking for current views on the subject.

Cheers,

Mont

enes sarıbaş

Yes there is, pro gets sandbox, group policy, pause updates, current branch for business, among others. Group policy alone makes it worth the upgrade.

No
As an individual user, with one desktop,  are there any advantages to running win10 pro over win10 home.

I know this one has been kicked around before, just looking for current views on the subject.

Cheers,

Mont

Hi,

You can in fact pause updates on Home, to – the choices are limited, however. Pro is intended for power users who need more advanced virtualization features (Windows Sandbox and Hyper-V, for example), domain join, and other advanced features.

Yes there is, pro gets sandbox, group policy, pause updates, current branch for business, among others. Group policy alone makes it worth the upgrade.

On 10/12/2021 2:57 PM, Loy wrote:

No