Screen readers and OS compatibility

Hi all,

Changing the subject to better reflect the direction of this discussion.

Cheers,

Joseph

From: winaccess@winaccess.groups.io <winaccess@winaccess.groups.io> On Behalf Of Immigrant via groups.io
Sent: Saturday, July 17, 2021 7:14 PM
To: winaccess@winaccess.groups.io
Subject: Re: [winaccess] AS an NVDA user, This is scarey! was How do you successfully alt tab with jaws in windows 10 update 21h1?

Might not install on the computer, or might not install properly. Lack of support usually doesn't mean administrative measures, it means incompatibility.

From: winaccess@winaccess.groups.io <winaccess@winaccess.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mike B.
Sent: Saturday, July 17, 2021 9:40 PM
Subject: Re: [winaccess] AS an NVDA user, This is scarey! was How do you successfully alt tab with jaws in windows 10 update 21h1?

And, jus how are they going to stop Windows 7 users from using Jaws2022?  I for one, would surely like to know where you got this.

Stay safe & take care.  Mike.
Just once, I want a username and password prompt to say:  "Close Enough!"

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Saturday, July 17, 2021 5:40 PM

And 2022 of jaws will no longer support windows 7.

From: winaccess@winaccess.groups.io <winaccess@winaccess.groups.io> On Behalf Of Joseph Lee
Sent: Saturday, July 17, 2021 6:35 PM

Hi,

Although it takes time, Vispero has shown willingness to keep up with Windows 10 changes more quickly in recent releases, and I expect JAWS 2022 to include changes to support Windows 11. As Windows 11 is a strictly 64-bit operating system, only 64-bit version of JAWS can be supported – you can’t really install 32-bit JAWS due to it using components that are matched to the machine architecture i.e. 64-bit JAWS requires 64-bit operating systems. I’ll talk about what works and doesn’t work with JAWS under Windows 11 (at this time) in a future thread.

Cheers,

Joseph

From: winaccess@winaccess.groups.io <winaccess@winaccess.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jordan Gallacher
Sent: Saturday, July 17, 2021 4:11 PM

I second that.  Love FS here as well.

Jordan

From: winaccess@winaccess.groups.io <winaccess@winaccess.groups.io> On Behalf Of Capelle, Michael C.
Sent: Saturday, July 17, 2021 6:54 PM

Not true at all, love fs.

From: winaccess@winaccess.groups.io <winaccess@winaccess.groups.io> On Behalf Of David Moore
Sent: Saturday, July 17, 2021 5:46 PM

Yes, I cannot imagine not using nvda! The great people in the nvda community, have kept nvda up to date with the latest versions and builds of windows! It takes Freedom Scientific a year or two to get Jaws working with the latest windows, now Windows 11, to work! I cannot imagine how long it will take for Freedom Scientific to get Jaws working well with Windows 11 lol! Free versus $1,000! Wow, nvda is a no-brainer to me, and I can do more with mvda then I can with jaws lol! It is such a blessing to have this community, I will never forget when someone gave me nvda on a USB stick in 2006 I believe! I have used nvda almost exclusive for 5 years!

On Sat, Jul 17, 2021, 1:36 PM Janet Brandly <jbrandly@...> wrote:

Just my humble opinion,

AS an NVDA user and someone who has never used JAWS, the fact that such a simple command as alt+tab cannot be done easily with JAWS is pretty scary. This is another reason I will never use it. Thank god for NVDA.

Janet

From: winaccess@winaccess.groups.io <winaccess@winaccess.groups.io> On Behalf Of Capelle, Michael C.
Sent: July 16, 2021 8:54 PM
Subject: Re: [winaccess] FW: how do you successfully alt tab with jaws in windows 10 update 21h1?

No, I ddi change that, no go.

From: winaccess@winaccess.groups.io <winaccess@winaccess.groups.io> On Behalf Of Governor staten
Sent: Friday, July 16, 2021 9:49 PM
Subject: Re: [winaccess] FW: how do you successfully alt tab with jaws in windows 10 update 21h1?

There was some setting in Windows that controls what alt+tab does. I can't recall where it is right now. This could be your issue.

On 7/16/2021 10:05 PM, Bill Powers wrote:

Joseph,

I’ve been having Alt-Tab issues since 21H1 but can’t quite put my finger on describing the problem. It just seems like the sequencing is not working the way I’ve expected so something seems broken.

BP

Jim Weiss

Mike,
Last week during the “What’s new in JAWS…” session during the NFB convention Eric Damery (sorry if that is misspelled) stated that JAWS 2022 will not install on a Windows 7 system.  That being said, if you are a subscriber to the Home Annual Subscription then even though you renew your license you will stay at version 2021 until you move off of Windows 7.
The installer can very simply check to see what version of Windows is running as one of the first steps once it is launced and when it detects Windows 7 or before simply throw up a dialog box stating that “Your version of the Operating System is not supported by this version of JAWS” and only give you the option to close the installer.
Eric was also very clear that JAWS will continue to support Windows 10 in JAWS 2022 and for for years to come, but it will be the first version to support Windows 11.  He was very clear to ensure users that Vispero will continue to support Windows 10 as corporations are often very slow to move off an operating system, especially large companies.  Since Microsoft has already pledged to keep supporting Win 10 until October 2025 (I believe that was the time period that I read) Vispero will at a minimum support Win 10 as long as Microsoft does, if not longer.
I believe that JAWS 2022 will be available as both a 32 bit and 64 bit package since Win 10 will still be available in both 32 and 64 bit versions.  It is my understanding that Win 11 will only be a 64 bit OS; therefore, only JAWS 2022 64 bit version will install on a Win 11 system.

Regards,

Jim Weiss

On Jul 17, 2021, at 10:16 PM, Joseph Lee <joseph.lee22590@...> wrote:

Hi all,
Cheers,
Joseph

From: winaccess@winaccess.groups.io <winaccess@winaccess.groups.io> On Behalf Of Immigrant via groups.io
Sent: Saturday, July 17, 2021 7:14 PM
To: winaccess@winaccess.groups.io
Subject: Re: [winaccess] AS an NVDA user, This is scarey! was How do you successfully alt tab with jaws in windows 10 update 21h1?

Might not install on the computer, or might not install properly. Lack of support usually doesn't mean administrative measures, it means incompatibility.

From: winaccess@winaccess.groups.io <winaccess@winaccess.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mike B.
Sent: Saturday, July 17, 2021 9:40 PM
Subject: Re: [winaccess] AS an NVDA user, This is scarey! was How do you successfully alt tab with jaws in windows 10 update 21h1?

And, jus how are they going to stop Windows 7 users from using Jaws2022?  I for one, would surely like to know where you got this.

Sent: Saturday, July 17, 2021 5:40 PM

From: winaccess@winaccess.groups.io <winaccess@winaccess.groups.io> On Behalf Of Joseph Lee
Sent: Saturday, July 17, 2021 6:35 PM

Hi,
Although it takes time, Vispero has shown willingness to keep up with Windows 10 changes more quickly in recent releases, and I expect JAWS 2022 to include changes to support Windows 11. As Windows 11 is a strictly 64-bit operating system, only 64-bit version of JAWS can be supported – you can’t really install 32-bit JAWS due to it using components that are matched to the machine architecture i.e. 64-bit JAWS requires 64-bit operating systems. I’ll talk about what works and doesn’t work with JAWS under Windows 11 (at this time) in a future thread.
Cheers,
Joseph

From: winaccess@winaccess.groups.io <winaccess@winaccess.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jordan Gallacher
Sent: Saturday, July 17, 2021 4:11 PM

Jordan

From: winaccess@winaccess.groups.io <winaccess@winaccess.groups.io> On Behalf Of Capelle, Michael C.
Sent: Saturday, July 17, 2021 6:54 PM

From: winaccess@winaccess.groups.io <winaccess@winaccess.groups.io> On Behalf Of David Moore
Sent: Saturday, July 17, 2021 5:46 PM

Yes, I cannot imagine not using nvda! The great people in the nvda community, have kept nvda up to date with the latest versions and builds of windows! It takes Freedom Scientific a year or two to get Jaws working with the latest windows, now Windows 11, to work! I cannot imagine how long it will take for Freedom Scientific to get Jaws working well with Windows 11 lol! Free versus $1,000! Wow, nvda is a no-brainer to me, and I can do more with mvda then I can with jaws lol! It is such a blessing to have this community, I will never forget when someone gave me nvda on a USB stick in 2006 I believe! I have used nvda almost exclusive for 5 years!

Just my humble opinion,

AS an NVDA user and someone who has never used JAWS, the fact that such a simple command as alt+tab cannot be done easily with JAWS is pretty scary. This is another reason I will never use it. Thank god for NVDA.

Janet

From: winaccess@winaccess.groups.io <winaccess@winaccess.groups.io> On Behalf Of Capelle, Michael C.
Sent: July 16, 2021 8:54 PM
Subject: Re: [winaccess] FW: how do you successfully alt tab with jaws in windows 10 update 21h1?

From: winaccess@winaccess.groups.io <winaccess@winaccess.groups.io> On Behalf Of Governor staten
Sent: Friday, July 16, 2021 9:49 PM
Subject: Re: [winaccess] FW: how do you successfully alt tab with jaws in windows 10 update 21h1?

There was some setting in Windows that controls what alt+tab does. I can't recall where it is right now. This could be your issue.

Joseph, 

I’ve been having Alt-Tab issues since 21H1 but can’t quite put my finger on describing the problem. It just seems like the sequencing is not working the way I’ve expected so something seems broken.

BP 

Mike B.

Good morning Jim,

Thank you very much for this very clear and informative explanation.  I don't mind that I won't be able to use J2022 on my Windows 7 computers since I do have a Windows 10 computer, but I sure would be pissed off if I couldn't afford a new computer and I only had Windows 7 computers to use.  Thanks again.

Sent: Sunday, July 18, 2021 1:04 AM
Subject: Re: [winaccess] Screen readers and OS compatibility

Mike,
Last week during the “What’s new in JAWS…” session during the NFB convention Eric Damery (sorry if that is misspelled) stated that JAWS 2022 will not install on a Windows 7 system.  That being said, if you are a subscriber to the Home Annual Subscription then even though you renew your license you will stay at version 2021 until you move off of Windows 7.
The installer can very simply check to see what version of Windows is running as one of the first steps once it is launced and when it detects Windows 7 or before simply throw up a dialog box stating that “Your version of the Operating System is not supported by this version of JAWS” and only give you the option to close the installer.
Eric was also very clear that JAWS will continue to support Windows 10 in JAWS 2022 and for for years to come, but it will be the first version to support Windows 11.  He was very clear to ensure users that Vispero will continue to support Windows 10 as corporations are often very slow to move off an operating system, especially large companies.  Since Microsoft has already pledged to keep supporting Win 10 until October 2025 (I believe that was the time period that I read) Vispero will at a minimum support Win 10 as long as Microsoft does, if not longer.
I believe that JAWS 2022 will be available as both a 32 bit and 64 bit package since Win 10 will still be available in both 32 and 64 bit versions.  It is my understanding that Win 11 will only be a 64 bit OS; therefore, only JAWS 2022 64 bit version will install on a Win 11 system.

Regards,

Jim Weiss

On Jul 17, 2021, at 10:16 PM, Joseph Lee <joseph.lee22590@...> wrote:

Hi all,
Cheers,
Joseph
From: winaccess@winaccess.groups.io <winaccess@winaccess.groups.io> On Behalf Of Immigrant via groups.io
Sent: Saturday, July 17, 2021 7:14 PM
From: winaccess@winaccess.groups.io <winaccess@winaccess.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mike B.
Sent: Saturday, July 17, 2021 9:40 PM

Sent: Saturday, July 17, 2021 5:40 PM
From: winaccess@winaccess.groups.io <winaccess@winaccess.groups.io> On Behalf Of Joseph Lee
Sent: Saturday, July 17, 2021 6:35 PM
Hi,
Cheers,
Joseph
From: winaccess@winaccess.groups.io <winaccess@winaccess.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jordan Gallacher
Sent: Saturday, July 17, 2021 4:11 PM
Jordan
Sent: Saturday, July 17, 2021 6:54 PM
From: winaccess@winaccess.groups.io <winaccess@winaccess.groups.io> On Behalf Of David Moore
Sent: Saturday, July 17, 2021 5:46 PM

Just my humble opinion,
Janet
Sent: July 16, 2021 8:54 PM
From: winaccess@winaccess.groups.io <winaccess@winaccess.groups.io> On Behalf Of Governor staten
Sent: Friday, July 16, 2021 9:49 PM

Joseph, 
BP