Surface uefi with screen readers

Blind Gamer

Hi all
I have surface device
Microsoft disability answer desk told me that we can use surface uefi with narrator but I haven't found any tutorials on Google
So can you please guide me how to use surface uefi with screen readers
Thanks

Sarah k Alawami

All of your narrator key strokes will act almost like nvda.

Caps lock is narrator key so

Narrator plus left and right will get you through all elements you have focused.

Narrator up and down will cycle you through the kinds of elements such as links, buttons, etc.

narrator plus space will toggle scan mode on and off. (browse verses focus mode for nvda users) I need to read more of the tutorial to write down the rest. But narrator equals and narrator dash (minus) will speed up and slow down speech. Someone gave a key here for volume, I think it was narrator shift equals and narrator shift dash.

That’s all I know for now. I hope this actually gets through this time. If not I can paste this message at paste.bin

Microsoft disability answer desk told me that we can use surface uefi with narrator but I haven't found any tutorials on Google
So can you please guide me how to use surface uefi with screen readers
Thanks

Blind Gamer

Hi
Will it work in uefi (bios)
Thanks

On Sun, 2 Jan, 2022, 4:24 am Sarah k Alawami, <marrie12@...> wrote:

[...]

I don’t think it will work under the bios system. There was a registry hack someone did a while ago, however if this is a brand new system I get the feeling that narrator cannot be accessed  as no sound drivers are loaded when entering the bios, which now that I think about it is a bit misleading. Bios stands for “basic input output system.” So you would think in theory some simple sound drivers could be loaded. Oh well, you cannot win em all, eh?

Microsoft disability answer desk told me that we can use surface uefi with narrator but I haven't found any tutorials on Google
So can you please guide me how to use surface uefi with screen readers
Thanks

Hi,

No Windows screen readers will work inside environments such as UEFI (firmware) because Windows isn't even loaded at that stage of the boot process. Perhaps the Microsoft representative might be talking about firmware configuration tools inside Windows?

Tyler Wood

I have never heard of this myself.
Unless you specially load up a windows PE environment with speech at startup, this is impossible, and this still is not bios, just windows running from external storage.

On Sun, Jan 2, 2022 at 10:34 AM Joseph Lee <joseph.lee22590@...> wrote:

Hi,

No Windows screen readers will work inside environments such as UEFI (firmware) because Windows isn't even loaded at that stage of the boot process. Perhaps the Microsoft representative might be talking about firmware configuration tools inside Windows?

Steven Hicks

No.