Switching to Win 11, a Google Account & my 18 year old desktop?

Peter Tesar

Hello,

My desktop has served me well so I kept putting off the upgrade. I went with the saying:

   if not broken why fix it?

I would love to have the higher speed USB ports but I would like to keep my 25 year old keyboard.

My question is about a Google Account. I probably have one but how or when?

A few times now, when signing on to Win 10, I am prompted to sign on to my Google Account.

I ignore this and continue without any problem.

With Win 11, will I always have to sign on to a google account?

Will the technician be creating one for me?

Thanks,

Peter T.

You need a Microsoft Id not a Google Id for Windows 11, if you don't have a Gmail email address chances are you may not have a Google account/Id.

You also definitely need a new computer, even my Asus laptop which in late 2016 was a high-end machine does not meet the Windows 11 requirements.

If your 25-year old keyboard has a PS2 connector then you also have to find a PS2 to USB adapter, Amazon is probably the best place for that, a new PC definitely won't have any more PS2 ports, but you can of course continue using that keyboard if you like it.

When you buy a new computer it will boot up to a setup screen and you can turn on Narrator with the keyboard shortcut Control + Windows Key + Enter and at that point it is possible to complete the setup process without sighted help as long as you are somewhat familiar with pressing tab and following instructions, at some point during this process you are then asked to sign in with  your Microsoft account and while you might be able to create one at that time, it is certainly a lot easier if you have one and have your login email and password handy.

Below is the link to sign in to or create a Microsoft account, if you don't have one you definitely have to create one:

https://account.microsoft.com/account?lang=en-hknew

Best regards,

Sieghard

My desktop has served me well so I kept putting off the upgrade. I went with the saying:

   if not broken why fix it?

I would love to have the higher speed USB ports but I would like to keep my 25 year old keyboard.

My question is about a Google Account. I probably have one but how or when?

A few times now, when signing on to Win 10, I am prompted to sign on to my Google Account.

I ignore this and continue without any problem.

With Win 11, will I always have to sign on to a google account?

Will the technician be creating one for me?

Thanks,

Peter T.

JM Casey

Hey.

Windows and google have nothing much to do with one another. If you’re being asked to sign in to a google account, it’s probably coming from your web browser, where certain sites will accept those credentials. Youtube, of course, being owned by google, is a big one.

Are you sure you’re not talking about a  microsoft account?

If your computer is really1 8 years old, arey ou really running windows 10? That seems very unlikely. You certainly won’t be running Windows 11 on it. But you neednt’ really worry about Windows 11 for a few years, anyway, unless you’re really keen to use it for some reason.

My desktop has served me well so I kept putting off the upgrade. I went with the saying:

   if not broken why fix it?

I would love to have the higher speed USB ports but I would like to keep my 25 year old keyboard.

My question is about a Google Account. I probably have one but how or when?

A few times now, when signing on to Win 10, I am prompted to sign on to my Google Account.

I ignore this and continue without any problem.

With Win 11, will I always have to sign on to a google account?

Will the technician be creating one for me?

Thanks,

Peter T.

He said his computer is 18 years old which means it's probably running Windows XP or at best Windows 7.

Sounds like he is looking at getting a new computer and of course in that case he can get Windows 11 because unless you are buying something refurbished for $150 or $200 or possibly something new but extremely low-end any new system you buy now will support Windows 11.