What in the hell just happened here!?

Larry Higgins

Listers,

Have any of you ever had this happen to you?

I just finished running the latest win10 update, choosing to restart rather than shutting down my computer, and something mighty weird, and scary happened.

To begin with, I was ushered into a reinstallation of Window-Eyes, immediately after pressing the hot key to run it. Now, please don't rag on me about continuing to make some use of it. I have my reasons. And BTW, I am using NVDA along with Thunderbird to compose this message. But it didn't stop there.

After going through the reinstallation of above mention "end of life" screen reader, I found that I also had to reinstall Winamp. I went through that routine, then checked out total recorder, and was invited to reregister that program, which I refused to do. Then I went to run Thunderbird, and was  told that I needed to setup that one as well, which I also refused to do.

Then I thought that it might be a good idea to just restart my computer, just to see what would happen. You can bet that I was saying my prayers at this point.

As it turned out, after restarting, all things fell into place, and my computer is now running normally (knock on wood).

I am running a somewhat low end HP Pavilion computer, which has served me quite well over the past three years. It is a 64 bit system which will not permit me to run Windows11.

Anyway, any observations or advice on this experience would be greatly appreciated, especially if you have any ideas as to how to prevent this from happening again.

It was almost as if I was running Windows for the first time. It made me feel like a complete stranger in my computer environment.

I think this is the first time I have ever had this happen in all of my 31 years of using a PC.

Thanks for reading,

Larry

Bill White

Hi, Larry. It sounds as if either Windows didn't load correctly on the first attempt, or you may have a hard drive that is beginning to give you trouble.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

[...]

Curtis Delzer

happened to me with NVDA and t-bird, when I, accidentally aborted the t-bird installation of an update and then re-started t-bird thinking it had been updated. Initially there was no profile, or NVDA or t-bird didn't see it and so when it began asking me questions about my already known account I restarted thinking all would be well. It was, except when I shut down t-bird and restarted it, or when I shut down NVDA and started jfw using a re-started t-bird. It was as though there wasn't a pre-installed email client and so I restarted again and all was well until I restarted t-bird and again, no profile some how. I, again restarted the computer, again, and t-bird was normal so I figured that the installation somehow had come acropper, so I just installed again from my archive of t-bird and all was well.  This also happened directly after a major windows ten update about a month ago, so it probably was a combination of factors, but, like you, I felt that my computer had gone to another universe and I was the visitor in alien territory.

whew!

--
Curtis Delzer
H.S.

Larry Higgins

Pete and bill I'll just answer myself since your individual replies, for some reason, have disappeared <smile>.

As of yet, I haven't noticed any real negative software reactions to this hiccup in my techno world seems to have come and gone. I did have a bit of a scare when JAWS didn't want to, at least at first, present messages in Thunderbird quite properly, but that quickly fell into line.

As for my hard drive Bill, I'm definitely hoping that you are totally wrong <smile>. Other than the recent issue, I have noticed no noises or slow downs in access to files and apps, so it looks like it should have at least some months of life left in it. But you can bet that I will be doing a bit of quick backup work within the coming days.

Thanks to both of you for your prompt responses.

Sincerely,

Larry

On 8/9/2022 10:23 PM, Larry Higgins via groups.io wrote:
[...]

Lino Morales

Like George Straight once sang Just Let Yourself Go. Let WINEyes go my man. I don't care or nor care to hear your reasons to keep it. Happy NVDA time sir.

On 8/9/2022 11:23 PM, Larry Higgins wrote:
[...]

So guys did this mess happen after installing yesterday's KB update? Only thing happened here was the Reltek went back to the default settings. I had to reinable the EQ settings the way I wanted it. Other than that all is well in Hooterville.

On 8/9/2022 11:49 PM, Curtis Delzer wrote:
[...]

Marilyn and Don Bilderback

I think something changed my sound levels also. I'm afraid I don't know how to change it like you did. Any hints? Marilyn

[...]

Hareth

To change different volume levels open the run edit box with windows key plus r.
type
sndvol
press inter
tab through the levels sliders and change them with the arrow keys.
you can close that page with the escape button or alt f4
TC

On 8/10/22, Marilyn and Don Bilderback <djbilderback@...> wrote:
[...]

Dave Grossoehme

Hi Larry:  Do you have enough memory for the update?  Is it possible that it had to trunkade the disc and allicate enough space for the update?  This is just a thought in the dark, beings earlier versions of windows could have a problem if your disc was more than 75% full.

Dave

On 8/10/2022 7:50 AM, Larry Higgins wrote:
[...]

Dave, thanks for that suggestion. I never received any notification of that, but it could be something to check on.

Thanks again.

On 8/10/2022 1:21 PM, Dave Grossoehme wrote:
[...]

valiant8086

Hi.

I'm not sure about the Window-Eyes setup thing, but the rest of the things you mentioned sound to me like you ended up with no user folder content for those programs, so like you were temporarily using a different account somehow.

Cheers:
Aaron Spears, AKA Valiant8086 General Partner at Valiant Galaxy Associates "we make (VERY GOOD AUDIOGAMES) for the blind comunity" http://valiantGalaxy.com