windows 10 updates

Don H

Running latest version of Win 10. For some reason all updates seem to get stuck at 20% installed for a period of 20 or 30 minutes then seem to install fine. Doesn't happen with the standard windows Defender updates just everything else. Any ideas why this happens?

Mike B.

Hi Don,

Are you running a desktop or a laptop?  I use desktops and my wife uses laptops.  When I update all the computers, what you're speaking about is more prevalent with latptops.  Although I try to get her laptops with higher end specs it seems like laptops just can't do things like updating as fast as desktops.

Take care.  Mike.  Sent from my iBarstool.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, August 09, 2022 12:24 PM
Subject: [WinAccess] windows 10 updates

Running latest version of Win 10.  For some reason all updates seem to
get stuck at 20% installed for a period of 20 or 30 minutes then seem to
install fine.  Doesn't happen with the standard windows Defender updates
just everything else.  Any ideas why this happens?

Don H

The slow updates for me are on a laptop.

On 8/9/2022 2:39 PM, Mike B. wrote:

Hi Don,
Are you running a desktop or a laptop?  I use desktops and my wife uses
laptops.  When I update all the computers, what you're speaking about is
more prevalent with latptops.  Although I try to get her laptops with
higher end specs it seems like laptops just can't do things like
updating as fast as desktops.
*To:* winaccess@winaccess.groups.io <mailto:winaccess@winaccess.groups.io>
*Sent:* Tuesday, August 09, 2022 12:24 PM
*Subject:* [WinAccess] windows 10 updates

Running latest version of Win 10.  For some reason all updates seem to
get stuck at 20% installed for a period of 20 or 30 minutes then seem to
install fine.  Doesn't happen with the standard windows Defender updates
just everything else.  Any ideas why this happens?

Mike B.

I just finished updating both my wife's laptops, 1 Dell and the other a Lenovo.  Both get stuck on that 20% screen for what seems like eternity.  So, I go do other things while this crap goes on and come back in a half hour or so, and they're ready to restart.

Sent: Tuesday, August 09, 2022 12:44 PM
Subject: Re: [WinAccess] windows 10 updates

The slow updates for me are on a laptop.
On 8/9/2022 2:39 PM, Mike B. wrote:
> 
> Hi Don,
> Are you running a desktop or a laptop? I use desktops and my wife uses
> laptops. When I update all the computers, what you're speaking about is
> more prevalent with latptops. Although I try to get her laptops with
> higher end specs it seems like laptops just can't do things like
> updating as fast as desktops.
> Take care. Mike. Sent from my iBarstool.
> ----- Original Message -----
> *From:* Don H <mailto:lmddh50@...>
> *To:* winaccess@winaccess.groups.io <mailto:winaccess@winaccess.groups.io>
> *Sent:* Tuesday, August 09, 2022 12:24 PM
> *Subject:* [WinAccess] windows 10 updates
>
> Running latest version of Win 10. For some reason all updates seem to
> get stuck at 20% installed for a period of 20 or 30 minutes then seem to
> install fine. Doesn't happen with the standard windows Defender updates
> just everything else. Any ideas why this happens?
>
>
>
>
>

Holly

Mike:

My new desktop went through the update quickly, but my old desktop, both running Win 10, took an eternity, also getting stuck on 21% for a very long time.

Finally got it all done though.  Just have patience. 

Mike B.

Hi Holly,

Same here with 2 of my desktops.  They're older and do the same thing as my wife laptops, so I believe it all has to do with the system hardware being older and just not as fast as the newer systems.

Sent: Tuesday, August 09, 2022 3:21 PM

Mike:

My new desktop went through the update quickly, but my old desktop, both running Win 10, took an eternity, also getting stuck on 21% for a very long time.

Edited

Hi,

This happens while Windows Update is verifying and installing files. The install phase of Windows Update is roughly divided into the following steps:

1. Verify update applicability: after Windows Update (technically, Windows Update client) downloads an update installer archive (typically an optimized .msu (Microsoft Update) file), it will check to make sure the downloaded update is indeed applicable, such as machine architecture, which updates are installed, and so on. This happens rather quickly.
  2. Expanding update archive: an update archive (.msu) file is composed of numerous cabinet (.cab) archive files. A cabinet file is similar in concept to a compressed (zipped) folder that can include more compressed files and metadata information. Although the size of the update archive is about several hundred megabytes, it takes up several gigabytes when fully unpacked (more for 64-bit systems as it includes not only 64-bit files, but also some 32-bit system files for use by 32-bit programs). As the update archive houses cumulative updates, the cabinet files inside houses files coming from earlier cumulative updates, and this is the reason why it takes more time to install more recent cumulative updates (this applies more on Windows 10; Windows 11 made internal changes to how cumulative updates are calculated).
  3. Update preparation: Windows Update now goes through the entire (or almost the entire) update archive that was just unpacked, making sure previous updates were applied correctly. This is the moment where Windows Update may appear to be stuck at 20 percent as this task makes the CPU (central processing unit) busy. This is more noticeable if installing recent cumulative updates on laptops as this busy task raises the CPU temperature, triggering processor throttling mechanism.
  4. Restart preparation: because system files are definitely in use, Windows Update cannot modify them while you are logged in. Therefore the computer is restarted to apply changes and for Windows Update to verify that updates were installed successfully.

This is the same concept used when updating to newer feature updates, or for folks who chose to do so, moving from Windows 10 to 11 via Windows Update. Installing feature updates or going from Windows 10 to 11 is a complicated task, involving installing a completely different version of Windows.

Reference: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/update/how-windows-update-works

Cheers,

Joseph

Monte Single

Hi Holly,

You have a new computer running win10.

Was that a special order?

From: winaccess@winaccess.groups.io <winaccess@winaccess.groups.io> On Behalf Of Holly
Sent: August 9, 2022 4:21 PM
To: winaccess@winaccess.groups.io

Mike:

Holly

Mont:

Yes.  It was custom built by my good friend and computer tech.  It can be upgraded to eleven when I decide to take the plunge.  Hahahaha.

Monte Single

Hey, Holly,

I often say;

“jump right in, the water is fine.?

I have had a new desktop since last Sept.  and I may upgrade it to win11 after the next big release of win11.  I’ll definitely wait for the early reviews !

From: winaccess@winaccess.groups.io <winaccess@winaccess.groups.io> On Behalf Of Holly
Sent: August 9, 2022 9:29 PM
To: winaccess@winaccess.groups.io

Mont:

Yes.  It was custom built by my good friend and computer tech.  It can be upgraded to eleven when I decide to take the plunge.  Hahahaha.

Holly

Monte:

I am one of those people who hate change.  I hung on to XP til the last possible moment and have to be dragged kicking and screaming into every new OS.

From what I have been reading, Win 11 is not too terribly different for screen reading software users, so hope that is true.    Will plan on holding out for awhile yet though.