windows 11 NVDA file explorer lag?

enes sarıbaş

Hi all,

Has anyone else noticed that compared to win10, there is a very noticeable lag with file explorer and windows 11?  In particular when cloicking on folders and arrowing through items.

Leo

HI, I'm mostly a Jaws user, but yes,, it is barely noticeable. Yesterday some folks from other mailing list were talking about this as well, so it could be a generalized issue for screen reader users.

Best,
Leo Bado.

"It seems to me that I will always be happy in the place where I am not." Paul Auster. "City of Glass"

-----Original Message-----
From: winaccess@winaccess.groups.io <winaccess@winaccess.groups.io> On Behalf Of enes saribas
Sent: Tuesday, October 12, 2021 5:10 AM
To: winaccess@winaccess.groups.io
Subject: [WinAccess] windows 11 NVDA file explorer lag?

Hi all,

Has anyone else noticed that compared to win10, there is a very
noticeable lag with file explorer and windows 11? In particular when
cloicking on folders and arrowing through items.

I have heard from two users who have been using Windows 11 for some months now that that is an issue, but apparently a few weeks ago it got a lot better after a Windows 11 update which would indicate it's more of an issue which Microsoft has to address.

From: winaccess@winaccess.groups.io <winaccess@winaccess.groups.io> On Behalf Of Leo
Sent: October 12, 2021 6:07 AM
Subject: Re: [WinAccess] windows 11 NVDA file explorer lag?

HI, I'm mostly a Jaws user, but yes,, it is barely noticeable. Yesterday some folks from other mailing list were talking about this as well, so it could be a generalized issue for screen reader users.

Best,
Leo Bado.

"It seems to me that I will always be happy in the place where I am not." Paul Auster. "City of Glass"

From: winaccess@winaccess.groups.io <winaccess@winaccess.groups.io> On Behalf Of enes saribas
Sent: Tuesday, October 12, 2021 5:10 AM
Subject: [WinAccess] windows 11 NVDA file explorer lag?

Hi all,

Has anyone else noticed that compared to win10, there is a very noticeable lag with file explorer and windows 11? In particular when cloicking on folders and arrowing through items.

tim

The only lag I get is sometimes when deleting a file it will lose focus, but not a problem for me.

On 10/12/2021 7:10 AM, enes sarıbaş wrote:
Hi all,

Has anyone else noticed that compared to win10, there is a very noticeable lag with file explorer and windows 11?  In particular when cloicking on folders and arrowing through items.

Timothy

On Tue, Oct 12, 2021 at 07:10 AM, enes sarıbaş wrote:

This is not a screen-reader-specific issue, though it can effect them more noticeably than others. Apparently Windows Explorer in Windows 11 suffers from memory leaks, but according to BleepingComputer, Microsoft "... included changes with Build 22454 to mitigate a couple of issues that were causing leaks when using File Explorer". Note that I did not experience this issue personally, as I am neither on Windows 11 nor do I use Windows Explorer as my file manager, but this is just data gathered from web searching so your mileage may vary (YMMV).

Timothy

Shawn Bever

Hi Timothy, what file manager do you use on Windows 10, and why?

Best,

Shawn
On 10/12/2021 10:02 AM, Timothy via groups.io wrote:

This is not a screen-reader-specific issue, though it can effect them more noticeably than others. Apparently Windows Explorer in Windows 11 suffers from memory leaks, but according to BleepingComputer, Microsoft "... included changes with Build 22454 to mitigate a couple of issues that were causing leaks when using File Explorer". Note that I did not experience this issue personally, as I am neither on Windows 11 nor do I use Windows Explorer as my file manager, but this is just data gathered from web searching so your mileage may vary (YMMV).

Timothy

I would also be interested which File Manager you use and what its advantages are over File Explorer.

From: winaccess@winaccess.groups.io <winaccess@winaccess.groups.io> On Behalf Of Timothy via groups.io
Sent: October 12, 2021 10:02 AM
Subject: Re: [WinAccess] windows 11 NVDA file explorer lag?

Timothy

Timothy

The primary advantage for me was that the third-party file manager I switched to does not use UIA but rather IAccessible(2), which for screen readers means that things don't have sluggish responses. This is most noticeable for slower machines or when computer is being taxed, e.g., the whole Windows 11 File Explorer issue that occurs for some in this thread.

Timothy